[Xastir] Article on DIXPRS IGate software

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 17:06:58 EDT 2012

Fyi, there's a PSR article on DIXPRS,which is the IGate software I
like to run using Linux AX25 networking and thus share the TNC/Radio
with Xastir and other applications.

http://www.tapr.org/psr/psr119.pdf - (page 16)

This is kind of a shameless plug, but not long after this software was
introduced, I checked it out and notified the author that I would like
to see a version that could separate IGating from digipeating, which
was not supported at the time.  The next day he privately emailed me
an unreleased version that had the capability to run as a stand-alone
IGate.  That capability was also included in the next official
release.  Also, I reported a bug yesterday that is already fixed in a
release that came out today.

>From time to time there has been discussion about how the developers
aren't too interested in further developing the IGate functionality in
Xastir - the recommendation has been to use a smaller, more
specialized application.  I tend to agree with that philosophy, but
I've been disappointed with the lack of choices of IGate software for
Linux, so this newcomer is a welcome sight.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT