[Xastir] Article on DIXPRS IGate software

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 19:37:16 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Alan Crosswell <alan at columbia.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fyi, there's a PSR article on DIXPRS,which is the IGate software I
>> like to run using Linux AX25 networking and thus share the TNC/Radio
>> with Xastir and other applications.
>>
>> http://www.tapr.org/psr/psr119.pdf - (page 16)

--- <snip> ---

> Lee,
>
> Just curious, how's this compare to aprsd?
>
> 73 de Alan N2YGK

Alan,

Below is a message from back in April regarding my experience with
aprsd.  From purely an IGate perspective, I much prefer DIXPRS (or
APRX) over aprsd because I could not get my instance of aprsd to gate
a message from IS to RF.  By the way, I can add DIXPRS to the list of
applications that has passed my little Tx IGate test where I send a
message from either my phone or an internet-only APRS client to either
my THD7A HT or my netbook that is connected only to RF in the car.

One thing I did not mention previously is that DIXPRS does not run
natively as a daemon, but I was able daemonize it using the software
at the following location:  http://software.clapper.org/daemonize/   I
am not running DIXPRS on a headless machine, however, so I prefer to
run it in an open terminal, i.e. not as a daemon, in my current setup.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT