[Xastir] Slow raster map render

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Sep 7 12:24:42 EDT 2012

On 9/7/2012 12:07 PM, Tom Hayward wrote:
> Why is Xastir slow to render raster maps?

Because it's doing a LOT of processing.

>   I'm curious what is actually
> happening behind the scenes. It appears that Xastir is re-projecting
> the raster maps, requiring an expensive render.

 From what I've seen in browsing the source code a while back, that
seems to be the case.

>   Why not just
> re-project the APRS stations and any shapefile overlay to match the
> raster tiles?

Because people want to zoom to any scale they want and not be restricted
to what the tile set might offer natively.  At least, that's the
criticism/request I get every now and then from APRSISCE/32 users which
constrains them to native tile zoom levels.

>   Wouldn't this be much faster?

Yes, and that's why I don't scale the bitmaps, but I'm glad alternative
platforms offer features in areas where I don't plan to go.