[Xastir] Segfault on indexing maps

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 10:40:30 EDT 2012

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012, Liz wrote:

> I can look at worldhi.map and that's it.
> Attempts to download any maps from Terraserver or OSM just time out.
>
> I have produced some GeoTiff files and tried them, downloaded some .MAP
> files and some .geo and .info files from the Australian APRS web site,
> and any attempt to index those maps results in a segfault.

> Indexing maps...
> GTIFGetDefn failed
> Segmentation fault
> =========================
>
> I realise that the Berkeley DB warning should not interfere with
> viewing maps, only caching maps,

Correct.  The calls to the Berkeley DB library have been disabled at runtime due to the check we added.  This is to prevent Xastir from falling over due to that issue.  That's not your current problem and will only slow you down a bit, so ignore for now until you get the larger problems solved.

> but I cannot index any maps.

> Has anyone any suggestions short of
> compiling for myself? This is to run on a eeepc 701 and it's short on
> brains to compile software.

If you had the option to compile it yourself I would certainly recommend it.  Xastir generally falls over for these reasons, in decreasing order of likelihood:

     * Linked-in Library problems
     * Bad map files
     * Memory problems (Often it's bad memory in the upper region)
     * CPU problems (Typically running too hot).  Very unlikely.

I have had issues with Shapefile sets where a file was corrupt and caused Xastir to fold.  Try isolating each of your map sets into subdirectories, perhaps by map type (tiff, shapefile, etc), in the /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/ directory, then set the permissions on those directories to 000 via "chmod 000" (no permissions) to isolate them from use and indexing.  Try Xastir "Reindex ALL Maps" and see if that works.  If so, enable one directory at a time (chmod 555) and repeat until you isolate which maps are causing the issue.

Your problems appear to be so far:

Can't use online maps.  Check DNS and "curl" for proper operation.
Can't user Berkeley DB Lib.  Ignore for now, it will just slow you down a bit.
Can't index maps.  Usually a problem with a map set or a linked-in library.

Note that Xastir is particular about the type of geoTIFF file you create.  It has to be in one of two formats as I recall, either the non-tiled USGS DRG format or the USGS DOQQ format.  You need libproj, libtiff, libgeotiff all installed, and libgeotiff compiled to use the libproj library for all of this to work.  You mentioned you created your own geoTIFF files so I'd be concerned about datum and coordinate system as well.  Xastir doesn't have fully general geoTIFF support:  It was originally coded up for U.S.-specific DRG maps.

Regarding the inability to download online maps:  You have libcurl compiled in instead of wget.  Either should work, but sometimes one or the other of the packages is non-functional on various OS'es.  Since Xastir was compiled to use libcurl then you have no option to use wget inside Xastir without recompiling.  Have you tried doing a "curl" to get an online file to see if that works?  Curl should use the libcurl you have on your system so should test out the functionality.

Have you done an OS update to get the latest packages so that more things work?  Do you know that DNS is set up and working properly?  Can you ping outside hosts and get a response?

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
Closed-minded about open (-source)...