[Xastir] Segfault on indexing maps

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Sep 16 12:36:48 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 09:34:05AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > You might try reconfiguring and rebuilding Xastir with the following:
> >  /path/to/xastir/configure CFLAGS="-O0 -g -fno-inline"
> >  make && sudo make install
> >
> > and when it segfaults use "gdb" to figure out where it's crashing.
>
> Can also try the "xastir -v4095 2>&1 >xastir-debug.log" trick.  That will turn on all debugging and write everything out to a file.  Look through the file to see if there are additional hints about how/where it crashed.

That has the potential of being misleading, if the crash happens nowhere near
a debugging output statement.  Better than nothing, but not great.

If a precompiled binary has these problems, then the best approach, IMHO, is
to pitch it and start from a custom compile.  Already, the binary is known
to have been compiled against different db headers than the libraries, and
may have issues with libgeotiff/proj.4 (given the GetDefn failure).  I would
suspect a bad build right there.