[Xastir] GeoTiffs from mrsid files

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Wed Sep 19 07:42:54 EDT 2012

This has worked
First of all obtain the software to convert mrsid to geotiff from the
Lizardtech site.

follow the complete instructions here

http://www.paulnorman.ca/blog/2011/03/converting-mrsid-to-geotiff/

(some commands are different if using Debian, particularly the PATH
commands)

With that Geotiff convert to appropriate datum (help required here from
the expert)
"gdalwarp: gdal command to convert from one datum and projection to
another"
" -s_srs is source datum and projection using the EPSG codes. Code
28355 is GDA94, MGA zone 55"

"The maps are actually in WGS84, UTM Zone 55, but it's only a 2 or 3
metre difference and I knew where to find the GDA codes"

gdalwarp -s_srs EPSG:28355 -t_srs EPSG:4326 8130s.tif 8130s_lat.tif

Then those files had "3 samples per pixel instead of 1"
and this is attended to by
rgb2pct.py 8130s_lat.tif /usr/share/xastir/maps/tif/8130s_lat.tif
copying it into the xastir directory as I went.

final result here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36563247@N07/8002767769/in/photostream