[Xastir] Is there anyone left running Xorg server 1.7.5?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Sep 19 12:59:16 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 07:04:03PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curious at bwv190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl> flavor, containing:
> > The bug in Xorg-server was fixed long ago, but the workaround remains in
> > Xastir.  Unfortunately, this is not a work-around that can be tested at
> > configure time and disabled --- the bug is in the X server, not the client, and
> > one cannot know at compile time whether Xastir will be used with an X server
> > that has the bug.  Thus we're all stuck with the workaround, even if we're
> > not using an X server that has that bug.
>
> perhaps just add configure _option_ ? if someone is affected,
> he will just recompile with that option enabled
> (i.e. --with-broken-xorg ).
>   given dynamics
> of xastir releases i assume
> such work-around will suffice for next 10 years ;)

:)

Yes, a configure option is reasonable, and had occurred to me.  It would
be nice, however, to remove dead code rather than just #ifdef it.  Xastir
is a fairly unreadable mess due to the number of ifdefs that are peppered
around it in an attempt to make it compatible with every single incompatible
release of ImageMagick, various buggy versions of lesstif, and so on and
so on.

If there's even a single person who is actually using this one single buggy
version of Xorg, then a configure-time option is reasonable, but my guess is
that there aren't any more of these buggy servers out there.