[Xastir] Setup with a Kenwood TM-D710A

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Sep 30 18:24:24 EDT 2012

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 17:14:50 -0400
Alan Crosswell <n2ygk at weca.org> wrote:

> Liz,
>
> I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to try this yet. Are you still having
> trouble?
> /a
>
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 14:08:53 -0400
> > Alan Crosswell <n2ygk at weca.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a 710 and it's substantially the same. Let me know if you
> > > need me to try something. I don't usually run it with Xastir &
> > > GPS as its in my vehicle but can if you want me to.
> > > 73
> > > /a
> > >
> > Can you tell me how you have set the radio?
> > What have you got GPS output set to?

Yesterday I compiled a new xastir from CVS, and will try that today.
I have established that
Sometimes, at startup the coordinates are provided to the computer.
About 50% of the time the startup script does not put the radio into
packet mode.
Coordinate transfer is unaffected by the radio being left in APRS mode
on startup.

The coordinates that are provided to the computer don't result in
xastir doing anything with them - it doesn't arrange an APRS
transmission nor does it mark a place on the map

However, if the gps is external to the radio and the computer, it
manages to do all the above (until the gps died, Murphy rules OK)

I will post the results of the new compile after the tests.

Liz VK2XSE