[Xastir] Non communication with radio

KF4LVZ kf4lvz at acarver.net
Sun Dec 8 17:45:55 EST 2013

On 12/8/2013 12:56, Liz wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 09:31:40 -0800
> David Ranch <xastir at trinnet.net> wrote:
>

>> Hello Liz,
>>
>> We need a bit more information here.  What OS and version?  What
>> version of Xastir?  What kind of radio?  What kind of TNC (or
>> software TNC)?  Do you know for a fact that your Prolific (pl2303)
>> cable is good?  The reason I ask this last one is that Prolific-based
>> cables are renown for being unreliable though they usually work fine
>> under Linux.
>>
>> Have you tried any other programs to interact with the radio via this
>> USB cable? ?
>>
>> --David
>> KI6ZHD
>
> Debian mixed Jessie / Sid (testing/unstable)
> Xastir V2.0.1 (July 2012, that wasn't updated)
> D710
> haven't tried any other cable nor any other programs yet

Try using minicom to send control commands to the radio or TNC
(depending on which mode it's in)

A more basic test would be to short pins 2 and 3 on the serial
connector, set minicom to no local echo and see if what you type shows
up on the screen (or if local echo is enabled, you should get double
what you type).