[Xastir] multiport USB/RS232 (was: Non communication with radio)

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 09:23:50 EST 2013

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM, David A Aitcheson
<david.aitcheson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jason,
>
> You have my attention! Could you please provide us with a URL to said
> referenced purchase?

In general go to

http://www.usbgear.com

and click on USB serial.  They've got a lot of form factors (cable
end, octopus, desktop boxes, surface mount boxes, rack mount boxes,
and I believe some DIN rail mount models), and they generally list the
chipset used.

The particular one I'm using is

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USB-16COM-RM&cats=199&catid=493%2C494%2C474%2C199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

I've had it in limited use for about a year, but I've only completely
populated it and gone into full production mode in the past few
months, connected to a bunch of APC UPS units, some switch consoles,
and some SPARC server console ports.  No problems so far.

I've also got one of these:

http://www.digi.com/products/model?mid=221

It's probably 10 years old at this point, still going strong.  The
ports seem to have a unique ID, although I only have one of these
boxes so I can't really say for sure.  The nice thing about this one
is that it works with Solaris.

Those are all server room applications interfacing to UPS units,
serial consoles, etc.  On my temporary balloon chase mobile rig, I use
one of these:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=-1082&y=-74&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=USB-COM232-PLUS4

It's from FTDI, works great. This particular chip has 4 RS232 ports on
a single IC.  (My 16 port rack mount is 4 of these things in one box.)
I  just wish they'd provide an enclosure with it.

-Jason
kg4wsv