[Xastir] process problem

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Mon Dec 23 13:42:44 EST 2013

> I've been wondering why xastir is such a resource-hog, and these
> missives lead me to suspect that the pi's GPU is not being fully
> utilised.

Except when the licensed pay-for DRM modules like H.264, etc (
http://www.raspberrypi.com/ ) are loaded for a specific purpose, the GPU
is *not* fully utilized.  The reason being is that Broadcom refuses to
release the specs for the GPU side of things and has essentially closed
that aspect of the RPi for supporting say the external DSI LCD
connector, etc.  Very frustrating but the creators of the Raspberry Pi
knew aspects of this going into it.  I think they were hoping this would
change over time but I don't think Broadcom has budged at all.

I think this is were other boards like the BeagleBone Black,
CubieBoard2, etc. will show themselves to be superior at only $10+ than
the Rpi.  Not only are they dual core, have a significantly more-modern
CPU instruction set, etc. but are also more open in terms of drivers,
etc.  With that said, the Rpi is still an amazing little board.

--David