[Xastir] a choice of formats

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Feb 9 17:39:23 EST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 08:36:01AM +1100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <vk2tv at exemail.com.au> flavor, containing:
> Liz,
>
> Just checking my map archives and I find I downloaded 1:250000 topos in
> ecw format which I converted with a free utility (might have been
> Irfanview) to jpg. From memory the utility ran under Windoze. Twas quite
> a while ago and my memory has seen as many summers as me <grin>

ECW files can also be massaged to georeferenced GeoTIFF (better than
JPEG for geospatial data) by GDAL's "gdal_translate" or "gdalwarp" programs,
if you build or acquire GDAL with ECW support.

But as I said, of the file formats listed, only shapefiles are *directly*
supported by Xastir.  All of the other formats listed require conversion to
something else if you want to use it in Xastir.