[Xastir] User 501

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 19:17:06 EST 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013, James Jolin wrote:

>>     $ cat /etc/passwd
>>
> well I tried that and it was interesting , but it did not have any 501 users
> in the cat output.  Am I missing something?

What's the user id (UID) for the user your normally use?  You must have created a new user than you were using before, or used a filesystem from a previous install of Linux that has a differnet list of user id's.

The way to fix it is to look at /etc/passwd and /etc/group find out what user & group you wish to own the files/directories, then do something like this:

     su
     cd /home

i.e.  chown -r archer:users archer

FYI:  Linux/Unix will identify owners/groups by the ID number if it doesn't have a match in the passwd/group files.  That's probably why you're seeing the 501.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/