[Xastir] nwsc_ddmmyy_12.dbfawk - updated file

Richard r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 26 13:00:34 EST 2013

Here is an updated copy for the latest county weather shapefiles for
files I downloaded today:

# $Id$
#
# Edited by Richard E. Polivka, N6NKO - 2013 February 26
#
# Copyright (C) 2003-2012  The Xastir Group
#
# This dbfawk file is used to map arbitrary dbf data that accompanies
# a shapefile into Xastir canoncical values of:
#   key     - search key
#   lanes   - width of feature (usually a road but applies to rivers,
etc. too)
#   color   - color to draw the road
#   name    - name of the road for labels
#   filled  - whether a polygon is drawn filled or not
#   fill_color - color to fill polygon with
#   label_color - color for label
#   pattern - line pattern for road, river, etc.
#   display_level - highest zoom level at which to display the feature
#   label_level - highest zoom level at which to display the label
#   symbol  - 3 char 'TIO': table, ID, overlay
#
# NOTE: This file format is modeled after awk but is nowhere near awk
#  compatible.
#
# This file is used to map NWS county polygon shapefiles
# which are named c_ddmmyy.dbf.  These are used for WX alerts but can also
# be used as a map of all US counties.  For the WX alert feature, the
# key is set to the concatentation of the STATE and FIPS county code
# in the same format as the alert->title (e.g. WI_C037).
#
# This DBFAWK file matches the set of county shapefiles that was published
# by NOAA in 2009, and differs from the earlier format.  Shapefiles from
2008
# are matched by the file "nwsc_ddmmyy.dbfawk" instead.
#

# BEGIN is called once per dbf file which contains multiple records.
BEGIN {
# dbfinfo is the "signature" of the dbf file listing the column names in
order.
# dbfinfo should match the dbf file that we say this dbfawk file goes with.
#
dbfinfo="OBJECTID:ID:WFO:GL_WFO:SHAPE_LENG:SHAPE_AREA:MZ:AJOIN0:AJOIN1:STATE:CWA:COUNTYNAME:FIPS:TIME_ZONE:FE_AREA:LON:LAT";
dbfinfo="OBJECTID_1:STATE:CWA:COUNTYNAME:FIPS:TIME_ZONE:FE_AREA:LON:LAT:Shape_Leng:Shape_Area";
# dbffields is which of the above fields we actually want to look at.
# Note that the order we list these is important since we are appending the
# word County or Parish depending on what state the county is in.
dbffields="STATE";
}

# BEGIN_RECORD is called once per dbf record which contains multiple fields.
# Use this rule to re-initialize variables between records.
BEGIN_RECORD {key="BOGUS"; lanes=1; fill_color=7; color=8; name="";
filled=1; fill_style=0; pattern=0; display_level=65536; label_level=512;
label_color=20; font_size=2; symbol=""}

# name: name is just the county name.
#/^COUNTYNAME=(.*)$/ {name="$1"; font_size=4; next}
# also append "County" to the name except for Louisiana, use Parish
# (is this the only state that calls them something other than county?):
# XXX check this whole LA thing.  I think they call them parishes.
#/^STATE=(LA)$/ {name="$name Parish"; key="$1"; next}
#/^STATE=(..)$/ {name="$name County"; key="$1"; next}
#/^FIPS=..(...)$/ {key="$(key)_C$1"; next}

# don't need special end case handling...
#END_RECORD {name="$name ($key)";}
#END {}

--

Richard Polivka, N6NKO
Worshipful Master, W.A. Lodge #291, F&AM