[Xastir] Ridge Radar URL geo files

Tate B ka7o at casperarc.net
Sat Jul 13 18:29:02 EDT 2013

I've been out of the loop for a bit, so this may well have been covered and
I've missed it. And, there are likely a few errors in my conclusions - feel
free to fix them.

The README.MAPS file , available with the current source via CVS, includes:

1024
 If you have ImageMagick and wget or libcurl installed, .geo files  1025 for
NWS radars are available from one of these sites:  1026
 1027 ftp://gcpoolz.com/geos/Srb_geos.zip  1028
http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir/maps/radar-geos.tgz
There follows information on adding IMAGESIZE to the geo files to make
things work.

However:

The gcpoolz.com site seems to no longer accept anonymous FTP.

The wetnet.net files look to be pointing to an invalid server. Simply
changing the server name to radar.weather.gov didn't fix these files for
me. I haven't dug into them any further as....

The 'Ridge' files - available at:
http://www.townisp.com/~k1kwp/NWS_Ridge_geos.tar.gz
look to be an available and working (already include the IMAGESIZE) set of
files.

Also, the file USRadar.geo included with the CVS source, points to what
appear to be non-functional files hosted at mesonet.tamu.edu. Either I'm
doing something incorrectly (likely) or the files hosted there are wonky.

For my purposes, the NWS_Ridge_geos archive is doing the job. This is JIC
anyone else is looking for radar overlays while we endure T-storm season.

Is the result displayed from these 'Ridge' files different from the other
geo files? What's the significance of 'Ridge' in the name?

Thanks! KA7O
--
Casper ARC - W7VNJ
http://www.casperarc.net