[Xastir] NWS Weather Alerts

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 07:35:51 EDT 2013

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013, Dean Groe wrote:

> We had a couple of Tornado Warnings from MLB here today, associated with Tropical Storm Andrea.
> I did not receive any alerts from firenet . Plenty of other data, but no Wx Alerts.
> I have Wx alert Logging turned on, nothing logged.
> What am I missing?

When I look at incoming data and disconnect/reconnect to the internet server, I see one of these:

     N5JXS-F1
     WE7U-F1
     WE7U-F2

Those are the three Firenet servers.  So that's the first check, make sure it's one of those three.  The last time we had a problem it was because other aprs2.net servers were getting into the Firenet rotation for DNS.

Next is filter strings.  Here's mine:

     m/500 t/n e/WE7U-WX p/QUAKE o/ISS*/STEAM/UP844

It's the "t/n e/WE7U-WX" portion that's important for what you're after.

I'm seeing lots of areas lit up in yellow/red/blue in Florida right now, as well as green rectangles and blue flood warning symbols.  I don't currently see tornado symbols but have seen them on the map in the last day or so.  To see these you need:

     Station->Filter Data->Select Objects/Items ON
     Station->Filter Data->Select Other Objects/Items ON

Of course no delivery of these to your screen is guaranteed:  Several things must be working perfectly in unison for the alerts to actually show up on your Xastir screen.  Any time you think there's a problem though I want to hear about it.  The last time things weren't working it was due to that Firenet DNS issue, which required human intervention to fix.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
Closed-minded about open (-source)...