[Xastir] MacOS/Xastir problem

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu May 9 13:27:49 EDT 2013

On Tue, 7 May 2013, Jacob Tennant wrote:

> Whenever I try to activate a serial tnc connection it causes my Xastir
> instance to freeze for about 30 seconds then the serial port never opens?
>
> I have checked that all of the configuration is correct  duch as
> /dev/tty.usbserialFTDI845 for the serial port and I have use a terminal
> program to talk to the tnc and everything runs fine there.
>
> Any suggestions?

Who is the group owner of that device?  Have you added yourself to that group and logged out/in again to gain the new group?

Are the group permissions set properly on that port so that both the owner and the group can read/write the port?

If all else fails, have you tried setting Xastir SUID root to see if that overcomes the issues?  (As root:  "chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir")

On this OpenSuSE system the ports look like this:

     $ cd /dev
     $ ls -al | grep ttyS
     crw-rw----   1 root   dialout   4,  64 Apr  8 09:11 ttyS0
     crw-rw----   1 root   dialout   4,  65 Apr  8 09:11 ttyS1
     crw-rw----   1 root   dialout   4,  66 Apr  8 09:11 ttyS2
     crw-rw----   1 root   dialout   4,  67 Apr  8 09:11 ttyS3
     crw-rw----   1 root   dialout   4,  68 Apr  8 09:11 ttyS4
     crw-rw----   1 root   dialout   4,  69 Apr  8 09:11 ttyS5
     crw-rw----   1 root   dialout   4,  70 Apr  8 09:11 ttyS6
     crw-rw----   1 root   dialout   4,  71 Apr  8 09:11 ttyS7

So I would add my user to the "dialout" group and log out/in again to be able to use the ports.  Both the owner "root" and the group "dialout" for these ports are marked "rw".

The  serial port names I'd specify in Xastir would be "/dev/ttyS0" or "/dev/ttyS1".  I'm not using USB->Serial adapters at work or at home to talk to TNC's.  I found them problematic at home so went to real serial port cards.  Some of course don't have that option.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
U.S. Weather Alerts:  Firenet.us, port 14580, filter "t/n e/WE7U-WX"