[Xastir] MacOS/Xastir problem

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Thu May 9 20:37:00 EDT 2013

I had an issue with my serial to USB adapter and come to find out, it would
change which ports it was plugged into. For example, it would change from
/dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyUSB1.

After much digging, I found it best for me to write a rule for my device.

I used this link as a reference:

http://hackaday.com/2009/09/18/how-to-write-udev-rules/

I wrote this rule for my USB to Serial adapter and saved it as
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-xastirportserial.rules. Because I am using a TT4 on my
adapter, I changed the rule to call it tt4 so whenever it decides to change
ports, it will always recognize my adapter and never lose it:

#First typed dmesg after plugging in the serial adapter
#Identified the last item listed and ensured it was ttyUSB0
#Wrote this rule first to get product identification
#udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyUSB0)
#Got the information from one set of parent rules and applied them in the
following rule
#ensuring that I got the location correct(in this case, 2-2) so that when I
plug into
#that port, it will always recoginze this item. Tested on other ports and
it did not
#identify it.
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{product}=="USB-Serial Controller D",
KERNELS=="2-2", SYMLINK+="tt4"

I understand you have a Mac but hope this will help in some way to keep in
communication with your device.

73 John