[Xastir] xastir & andlinux

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Nov 16 10:47:03 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 03:23:12PM +1100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 19:37:52 -0800 (PST)
> Leonard Leslie <lenleslie at flash.net> wrote:
>
> > find anything.??Almost every link I try is no longer available.??I am
> > hoping someone here can??help me get Xastir running with andlinux or
> > something better.
[...]
> Please, just don't bother with the Windows stuff.
> You need Linux to make Xastir run.
> Download a small distro from the net and install it.

Len is trying to use Xastir in "andLinux" which is a full Ubuntu install
that runs inside Windows (like a virtual machine, but claims to be faster
and better integrated).

http://www.andlinux.org/

So, he actually *did* download a small distro from the net and install it.

I can't speak to how to install or use it, or how to get Xastir running
under it, or at least I can't do so with any basis in experience.

If you can get andLinux working in its normal way, and get it so that it
can do basic Linuxisms before even trying Xastir, then installing Xastir
under andLinux would be pretty much the same as installing it under any
Ubuntu system.

The specific errors Len is seeing look suspiciously like problems that need
to be brought to an andLinux forum, as they're too specific to that system.

> Xastir, however, is not really an iGate program.

Yeah, what she said.  Xastir will function as an IGate, but not an especially
good one.  It lacks some of the features that most IGates are supposed
to have (like transmitting courtesy posits along with gated messages), and
really, if IGating is your primary goal, it's better to use a program that
was intended as an IGate rather than a graphical APRS client with IGate
capability.

> I use aprx, another poster today uses dixprs.

And I use javAPRSSrvr on the two IGates I run.