[Xastir] Compiling Xastir for the Raspberry Pi

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Nov 21 17:21:06 EST 2013

Max,

It's been a while since I compiled xastir on the RPi and I can't
remember what I needed to do. I moved away from the Pi to a PC but still
running Debian Wheezy. With Debian installations I've struck dependency
problems between motiff/lesstif and imagemagick/graphicsmagick.

I found this to jog my memory;

This is what I had to say about dependencies ..

> On Aug 31, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Ray Wells <vk... at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I'm making progress towards a working RPi for an igate but have struck a
> > snag compiling xastir.
> >
> > I'm using the latest Debian Wheezy kernel - 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian.img
> > - and have compiled libax25, ax25apps & ax25tools. The stumbling block with
> > xastir is dependency conflicts between libgeotiff2-dev and both imagemagick
> > and graphicsmagick. I can have one or the other but not both. The conflict
> > is well documented but, thus far, I have not found a solution.

My solution on the Pi and subsequent PC based Debian installations of xastir has been to compile libgeotiff from sources,
following the method used in an old version of Ubuntu - 10.04 - http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_10.04

These are the steps from that document. I can't remember if I looked for a later version on the osgeo site.

        Install libgeotiff

  * Download the libgeotiff source

As of this writing, the latest libgeotiff source can be downloaded like
this:

     cd ~/src
     wgethttp://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.2.5.tar.gz

  * Unpack libgeotiff

     tar zxvf libgeotiff-1.2.5.tar.gz
     cd libgeotiff-1.2.5/

  * Build and install libgeotiff

     ./configure --with-ld-shared="gcc -shared"
     make
     sudo make install
     sudo ldconfig

There might be other ways but this worked for me.

Ray vk2tv

BTW, David has a nice collection of AR stuff on his site.