[Xastir] Xastir on the Raspberry Pi

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 21:27:40 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM, John Gorkos <jgorkos at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is, it doesn’t work.  The underlying dependencies aren’t
> fulfilled properly.  The problem is something like this:  gpsmanshp
> requires Tcl8.4 (because that’s how it’s compiled), but raspbian ships
> with Tcl8.5.

Fyi, this same problem surfaced with Ubuntu 12.10 about a year ago - from
what I can tell it's basically a broken gpsmanshp package.  It was still
present in Ubuntu 13.04 last spring.  It's probably in Debian Wheezy as
well, which is how it ended up in the Raspbian distro.  I found if i just
deleted the post install script in the gpsmanshp deb package, it would
install without errors - that was an ugly solution, and I'm not sure if it
impaired the functionality of gpsmanshp by doing that.  Later there was a
message on this list that said the work-around was to install tcl8.4.  I
tried that on the Raspberry Pi today, and although I got a warning during
the installation, it completed, and Xastir seemed happy with it when
compiling.  There was no issue with installing tcl8.4 when tcl8.5 was
already installed.

> Xastir as it’s compiled now is perfectly capable of using a GPS.  Here’s
> the description of GPSMan:
>  GPS Manager (GPSMan) is a graphical manager of GPS data that makes
> possible the preparation, inspection and edition of GPS data in a friendly
> environment. GPSMan supports communication and real-time logging
>  with both Garmin and Lowrance receivers and accepts real-time logging
> information in NMEA 0183 from any GPS receiver.
> Do you use the GPSMan capability of Xastir?  Can someone tell me what it
> does?  If it’s mission critical, I’ll see what I can do.  I’m already
> doing that for geotiff (I’m going to compile my own library against
> graphicsmagick and put it up on the web site, as well.)
>
> I don't consider gpsman and gpsmanshp as mission critical, and most users
probably wouldn't, but it depends on who's using it and what their needs
are.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT