[Xastir] Fw: Compiling Xastir in a Raspberry Pi

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 13:46:32 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 1:36 AM, David Ranch <xastir at trinnet.net> wrote:

> Hey Max,
>

>  That did it! YEA. Thank you so much. I'm now seeing data inXastir as well
>> as in mheard.
>>

> Oh cool.. do you know what specific option you were missing?  If we can
> figure that out, that will help Lee improve his script to be more robust
> for the next Rpi user.

Given Max was having issues with the mailing list, I emailed him
privately, and he confirmed that it was the chmod command that I
recommended in my previous message that resolved his issue.

There's nothing that needs to be changed in the build script that I posted
previously.  The purpose of the script is to do the following:

1) Install dependent packages that Xastir needs with the caveat that
libgeotiff and libgdal are not included (and not needed by the majority of
users).

Note: The Raspbian Linux distro does not have a geotiff package, which is
the main reason it was omitted.  The gdal support in Xastir has been
described as "embryonic", and it serves a very narrow/niche application,
which is the main reason it was omitted.

2) Download the latest version of Xastir from CVS.

3) Bootstrap, configure, compile, and install Xastir.

The script does all 3 of the above, and it did for Max based on his report
to the list.  He did report one issue with using AX25 networking, which is
easily resolved using the chmod command.

Using the chmod command to enable Xastir to use an AX25 port is not part of
the intended scope of the script.  Only users of AX25 networking need to do
that.  The Xastir wiki includes a couple of HowTo's on using AX25
networking, and the chmod command usage is in both of them.  One example is
given below.
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:AX.25_-_Ubuntu/Debian

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT