[Xastir] OT: SAME to APRS gateway requirements?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 13:36:02 EDT 2013

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013, qrv at kd4e.com wrote:

> This sounds like an excellent methodology!
>
> Question: Can APRS alerts be tagged with a tone of some sort to
> break squelch when a handheld is in 'quiet mode'?
>
> It's often difficult to have a radio squelch open at work, church, etc.

If the transmitter was set to a subaudible tone of 100 and wasn't transmitting at all except for these alerts, then it could provide the functionality you're after.  Receivers would of course have to be set to only break squelch when that tone was present.  I think 100Hz is what they use for APRS Voice-Alert, so APRS mobiles going through would also trigger receive.  It's not that common though.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html