[Xastir] Light weight APRS client with smart beaconing support for Raspberry PIs

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Mon Sep 2 23:37:28 EDT 2013

Hello Everyone,

Since the list has been pretty quiet, I thought I'd send this out tothe
group.  I have a Raspberry Pi and a TNC-Pi which it works pretty wellbut
I'd like to turn it into a an APRS tracker and digi. For the tracker
side, I have a working USB GPS unit that's spitting out the expected
NEMA sentences but I'd like something that supports SmartBeaconing and
not just periodic beacons. Looking at the very comprehensive table at
http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html (it's missing digi_ned
though which is rather comprehensive otherwise), only Xastir and YACC
seemto have smart beaconing but both are GUI *only* applications.  I'm
really looking for something that doesn't require Xwindowsand is
lightweight(Java doesn't strike me as very light).

So.. does this exist?  Maybe there are tricks to make either of these
programs NOT require to run a GUI what so ever?  Other alternatives?

--David
KI6ZHD