[Xastir] HowTo:

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Sep 28 17:06:21 EDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:59:35PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <div.tt14 at ebnett.no> flavor, containing:
> Hi, is this the latest and best description on how to install Xastir on
> Ubuntu 13 ?
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_10.04

definitely not the latest, and not the best description of how to do it on
13.x.

Every release of Ubuntu changes the actual names of packages that need to
be installed (usually differences in version numbers).

There are a godzillion later install notes on the wiki for later versions of
Ubuntu, but none for 13.04.  The latest is
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_12.10.
I suspect that if the instructions in there don't work verbatim, they might
at least get you close --- there may be minor differences in version numbers
of things like db-5.x.

If you look through all of them:
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_12.04
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_11.10,_11.04_or_10.10
[etc.]

you can see which packages have tended to need changing from release to release,
and you should be able to figure out what should be updated.

I can't help you directly --- I have long since stopped tracking Ubuntu's
releases other than their Long Term Support releases, because I need
stability on my systems, not new, possibly incompatible updates every six
months.  So I'm still on 12.04 and will stay there till 14.04, I expect.