[Xastir] Raspberry Pi with Xastir

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 19:53:08 EDT 2014

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 4:17 AM, Ray Wells <vk2tv at exemail.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Lee,
>
> It didn't competely dawn on me during early use of of the Pi that the
> supply that was most reliable was the 5.22v mobile phone charger. Back then
> I couldn't do extended running on that ps because it belonged to the phone
> of SWMBO and she needed it every second day. Also back then I didn't
> measure the voltage of that supply, I took its 5v on face value. It was
> only when the DTV dongle crashed so soon and repeatedly on other supplies,
> including clean, linear supplies,  that I checked the phone charger more
> closely.
>
> The adsb Pi is now running from a Murata smps that delivers 5.0v but, that
> Pi has the polyfuses shorted to keep USB voltage as high as possible. The
> new Pi is running from a linear supply set to 5.1v and that puts an
> adequate voltage on the USB sockets - 4.85v from memory.
>
> You might have a point about cpu loading being in the equation. FWIW
> dixprs uses around 33% of cpu. Load average on that Pi is constantly around
> the 1.0 mark but fpac contributes a bit to that. The adsb Pi on the other
> hand shows load average of around 0.4.
>
> I await the outcome of you running higher supply voltage.
>
> Ray vk2tv

I took the lazy way out and ordered a 5.1v power supply that is supposedly
designed for the "special needs" of the Raspberry Pi.  I believe it's rated
at 5.1v at 1.5 amps.  It took a long time because it was shipped from the
UK, but it seems to be paying off.  I'm at 17 and a half days now using
Dixprs as an Igate.  It never lasted more than 14 in that mode before, and
typically it was only 10-11 days.  I'll run it a bit longer to be sure -
then I'll add ldsped into the equation.  With ldsped running, it usually
took just a few days to crash.  If that's stable, I'll finally be able to
fire up Xastir and APRSIS32 on other computers in the network and share the
TNC with the Pi - knock on wood - with no more crashing.

Lee - K5DAT