[Xastir] help

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:42:09 EDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Jerry Wetherholt
<mrfixit2003_975 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> can anyone on here tell me what a bounce is in accordance to xastir mailing list?

An email that can't be delivered "bounces".  The is analogous to the
USPS "return to sender" situation.

Here's an example from my postmaster inbox this morning (not related to xastir):

>The original message was received at Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:03:51 -0500 (CDT)
>from localhost
>with id s3DF3pxC027100
>
>  ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
><051 at news-of-cosmos.ru>
>   (reason: 550 Host unknown)
>
 > ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 550 5.1.2 <051 at news-of-cosmos.ru>... Host unknown (Name server: news-of-cosmos.ru: host not found)

The issue with an email list server (xastir uses mailman) is that,
when you post to the list, you don't send me an email, you send
mailman an email and ask mailman to send it to me.  This means if
there's a problem with my email account, for example, mailman gets the
bounce, not you.

Mailman keeps track of bouncing email, so that it can quit wasting
time sending email that it has reason to believe it won't get
delivered anyway.  Some poorly managed email services (sorry,
hotmail's on that list) tend to bounce messages when they shouldn't.

If you're having trouble, I'd suggest getting away from hotmail.
Google is no less evil than microsoft or yahoo and they can't adhere
to a standard as well as even microsoft can, but at least their email
system is reasonably reliable compared to other "free" options.

-Jason
kg4wsv