[Xastir] map chooser for idiots

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Fri Feb 14 15:35:31 EST 2014

Greetings all:

I've been poking around howto/wiki/readme/archives etc trying to figure
out a "very simple way" to add online maps and cache them on the hard
drive so xastir can still have maps while off-line.

So far, the server times out, and mm.aprs.net doesn't resolve (from
running xastir from terminal window).  This basically makes xastir
stupid and it fails to function at all.  I kill it and remove the
.config and start from scratch, but there must be a better way..

I really am an idiot when it comes to this stuff.  The chooser is
extremely ambiguous and I fail to infer what any given title might
render.  What I hope to do is make a very basic how-to for Mint LTS
versions of xastir and soundmodem.  I'm using Kamal's updated ham
software PPA repository for these binaries.  So far, I've had tons of
fun and have built my first loaner laptop which is now in a remote area
of Humboldt county California.  I'm building the next loaner laptop now,
but after seeing the map failure with my first laptop once it was out of
reach of the internet and cached maps completely failed to render, I
want to make sure I get this one correct. .. :)

What would be perfect is something that will look like google maps that
show up when I go to aprs.fi.

I've spent several days digesting info found on the net, but I seem to
still be at ground zero ..

Thank you,

73

--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the acer w/thunderchicken3