[Xastir] Window Sizing and Shortcuts

russo at bogodyn.org russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jul 2 23:33:07 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 08:10:19PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jason at ke4nyv.com> flavor, containing:
>    I forgot to mention the other change I noticed is the mouse pointer
>    behavior.  Now, when I click on the map or try to hold down to draw a zoom
>    box, I get the pop up menu.  Clicking away from the menu closes it and
>    returns to the map.  Is this normal behavior when the touch LCD option is
>    enabled?  I'm assuming this is a way to speed up operation when using a
>    touch only interface.

Ah.  Sorry, Jason, when I wrote that email I first had several paragraphs
describing how to hand-edit the code, and explaining what everything did,
but then I realized that it was easier to do the "CPPFLAGS" thing and
deleted all that explanation.

LCD640x480TOUCH enables three things:
  - FIXED_DIALOG_STARTUP
  - SWAP_MOUSE_BUTTONS
  - USE_TWO_STATUS_LINES

These are the three things that Curt found made his use of his 640x480
touch screen more usable.

  -  FIXED_DIALOG_STARTUP
     This makes  all the dialog boxes pop up in a fixed location instead of
     cycling through locations for each new dialog.  That prevents them from
     being part-way off-screen when they pop up.
  - SWAP_MOUSE_BUTTONS
    This makes the "left" mouse button (a tap on the screen) do what the
    right mouse button usually does on 3-button mouse desktops/laptops --- pop
    up a menu.  Curt can comment, but I believe that what he found in using
    his touch-screen system was that more often he wanted to tap the screen to
    bring up a menu rather than to zoom in.
  - USE_TWO_STATUS_LINES

    This splits up the normally long single status line on large-screen
    monitors into two lines, presumably so they are more readable on small
    screens.

Defining LCD640x480TOUCH is the same as defining all three of the above
upper-case symbols, i.e., enabling all three features.

If you would rather do only some subset, you can define only the symbol
you think is useful:

   ../configure CPPFLAGS="-DFIXED_DIALOG_STARTUP -DSWAP_MOUSE_BUTTONS -DUSE_TWO_STATUS_LINES"

is identical to

   ../configure CPPFLAGS="-DLCD640x480TOUCH"

You also need to change font sizes to make your smaller screen less cluttered.

Someone who actually uses these small-screen options would be better suited
to give you guidance than I am.  I was just trying to get you jump-started
with the compilation options that Curt had suggested.