[Xastir] Where is the Xastir executable

Tate B ka7o at casperarc.net
Tue Jul 8 11:51:39 EDT 2014

An easy way to find an executable on any *nix system is to use the 'which'
command. You can also use 'locate', but that output is a tad more clumsy to
sort through.

ie. On my CentOS 6.5 box:

[tate at 80-5497 ~]$ which xastir
/usr/local/bin/xastir

Locate returns the location of any file or directory name that includes
"xastir" - quite the list, special if you've the sources. But, looking
through there, I do eventually find /usr/local/bin/xastir listed as well.

Another cool command is 'apropos' - Lets say I walk up to an unfamiliar
system. "Self", I ask, "Is there anything on this box associated with
APRS?"
Well, I just run 'apropos aprs' and see what I get.

[tate at 80-5497 ~]$ apropos aprs
APR::IpSubnet        (3pm)  - Perl API for accessing APRs ip_subnet
structures
callpass             (1)  - generate Pass-code associated with your
callsign for authentication via xastir to APRS(tm) network
xastir_udp_client    (1)  - send simple messages to xastir for APRS(tm)
network
Xastir [xastir]      (1)  - graphical application that interfaces HAM radio
and APRS(tm) internet access to real-time mapping software

Cool - the first result isn't appropriate - but there are 3 toys installed
I can enjoy.

"The power of CLI - it's where it's at!"(tm)

73
Tate - KA7O

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Gordon P. Howell, Jr. <geep at wa4rts.net>
wrote:

> BTW, Hi Jason, long time since I last saw you!
>
> I, too, would like to know how to create a desktop icon to start Xastir
> (on Ubuntu 14.04).  I have searched high and low for the file as well as
> done internet searches to no avail.
>
> Where do you hide it, Curt???
>
> Thanks
>
> Geep