[Xastir] Compile Error on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jun 6 21:57:43 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 09:52:04PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello,
>
> I get the error below when compiling the latest CVS source in the 64 bit
> version of Ubuntu 14.04.  I have not had any problems with the 32 bit
> version, although the last time I built Xastir in the 32 bit version was
> over 3 weeks ago.
>
> /usr/bin/ld: alert.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can
> not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> alert.o: error adding symbols: Bad value

Googling, this appears to be an issue that may be resolved by reordering the
link line (there are other codes that won't compile on Ubuntu because of link
line ordering of dependent libraries).  Could you post a little more of the
make output (e.g. the link line that precedes this error message)?  Maybe
something will stand out.