[Xastir] Online Maps selections needing attention before next release.

David A Aitcheson david.aitcheson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:56:47 EDT 2014

Okay everyone; we have a release about to drop and we might as well FIX
SOME PROBLEMS that have languished way to long!

Specifically some of the online map ".geo" files that are built in to
the program that DO NOT work; such as:

    Online/CanadaTopo250k                  (currently only a
    placeholderfile in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
    Online/CanadaTopo50k                   (currently only a
    placeholderfile in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
    Online/OSM_tiled_osmarender
    Online/OSM_tiled_skiing
    Online/OSM_tiled_topOSM_0_relief
    Online/OSM_tiled_topOSM_1_contour
    Online/OSM_tiled_topOSM_2_features
    Online/TXRadar                        (points to
    http://mesonet.tamu.edu which appears to be abandoned)
    Online/USRadar                         (points to
    http://mesonet.tamu.edu which appears to be abandoned)
    Online/WMSRadar                        (points to
    http://mesonet.tamu.edu which appears to be abandoned)
    Online/terraserver-reflectivity        (currently only a
    placeholderfile in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
    Online/terraserver-topo                (currently only a placeholder
    file in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
    Online/terraserver-urban               (currently only a placeholder
    file in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
    Online/terraserver                     (currently only a placeholder
    file in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)

I remember a discussion thread that some of the "OSM_tiled_*" are
possibly no longer available from a while ago; should we consider
dropping those map "geo" files from the source and thus clean up the
maps presentation view for newer and future users?

The same should be considered for all of the "Placeholder" .geo files
and the MesoNet related Radar.geo files in my opinion.

Others have proposed fixes to the missing radar screen availability that
do work and are acceptable IMO. In the case of Online/USRadar the patch
on SourceForge presented by Kevin Otte N8VNR (see
http://sourceforge.net/p/xastir/patches/3/) works 'FB' on V2.0.5 as does
a large group of files created/modified by Kevin W Paetzold K1KWP that
allows one to select any individual Radar site. I have lost track of
where I got those files for the moment but am still researching.

73
Dave
KB3EFS

--