[Xastir] VA1-1,VA2-2 vs..

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jun 12 13:55:35 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 09:16:20AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 07:37:55AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ml41782 at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
>[...]
> > I live in Virginia and all 4 of my Digipeaters use VA in place of WIDE.? I know some of the Maryland Digi's use MD
> >
> > ?
> > I wouldn't have thought that running VA1-1,VA2-2 would have been treated any more different than WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2. but Xastir seems to think there is a issue.
>[...]
> .  There's something broken in the logic in util.c's
> "check_unproto_path".

Ok, Xastir is set up to complain if you have more than one WIDEn-N in your
path unless the first one is WIDE1-1.

And it appears to count *ANYTHING* of the form <callsign>n-N as WIDEn-N
irrespective of n-N (i.e. VA1-1 is flagged as an n-N call).  So stacking them
VA1-1,VA2-2 is treated as if you had WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2 (a trick sometimes
employed in an ill-advised attempt to skirt local path limiting).

Anyhow, the only reason to do WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 to get a three-hop path is
if you might possibly need low-lying fill-in digipeaters (e.g. home stations).
Home stations need to be set up specially to handle WIDE1-1, and those that
are probably aren't also handling VA1-1 as well (though local usage might
vary and I could be wrong).

I'm back to just recommending that if you want your packets to go three hops
and be confined to Virginia digis that grok the VA generic path, just do
VA3-3.  If you need fill-ins, go with WIDE1-1,VA2-2.  Either one should
be recognized by Xastir as not being "dubious."