[Xastir] Make error Ubuntu 14.04

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 23:09:14 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Gordon P. Howell, Jr. <geep at wa4rts.net>
wrote:

> I’ve searched for a fix for this problem without luck.  The make process
> errors out on usr/bin/ld stating that the process can’t be used for a
> shared object and requiring a recompile with option -fPIC.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> ​You must be using the 64 bit version of Ubuntu.  I encountered the same
issue 10 days ago.  I haven't found a solution, either.  For me it has not
been a priority - I was just doing some due ​diligence by testing out a
build script in a 64 bit Ubuntu installation after it had worked fine in a
32 bit installation.  I happen to be using Xastir on a 2009 Intel Atom
based machine, so not being able to build it in the 64 bit version doesn't
impact my actual usage.  I hope it gets figured out soon - 64 bit should be
fairly common now.

Lee - K5DAT