[Xastir] Trap for Young and Old

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 00:31:29 EDT 2014

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Xastir does this, but would you want to trust security of your system to a
>> bunch of hobbyists?  ;-)
>
> 'cause that's not something linux users are familiar with. :|

I think we might have more of a lack of security-trained Linux people on our development team...

>> Technically it isn't a problem:  The AX.25 networking port is implemented
>> similarly to ethernet ports in terms of permissions.
>>
>> For Xastir to be able to access the port, it needs root privileges.
>
> So you can't just chmod 666 /dev/ax25 (or whatever) so that xastir can
> access it running as joe user?

I would think that would work as well, so one would need to tweak the udev scripts perhaps.  I'm no expert on that, having only hacked on them a few times myself for other reasons.  This would be a bit more difficult for a newbie to figure out and hack on any given system.  There may be details that change from OS to OS and from version to version.  Worth a shot though as an alternate method.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html