[Xastir] https server is now operational

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 16:57:02 EDT 2014

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Tom Hayward wrote:

>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:11:31AM -0700, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>>> I've had several people point out ways to do real certificates.  It's appreciated.  I'm not trying to make this little wiki/mailing-list server my life's work.  Just enough to get the job done.
>>
>> I'll happily volunteer to manage crypto for the site since I already do this elsewhere.  I know it can be annoying to try to get all the pieces to line up.
>
> Likewise, I'll volunteer to configure Apache and MediaWiki for
> certificate authentication, if this is desired. I've already
> configured https://encrypted.hamwan.org/ to support this, so similar
> implementations are trivial.

Well, I can't afford the time to do this stuff or even to research it properly.  If you two who already know how to do the tricky bits are willing, I'm more than happy to accept the help.

I have some history with each of you two so I don't expect too much head-butting among the three of us.

How'z about you let me get the backups going first so we can correct any config errors along the way, then we can discuss access to the server.  I currently access it with SSH2 access using public/private keys.  I suspect you two might need SUDO access or even root access to do the kinds of things you want to do.  I'd be nervous about either until I have backups up and running.  I'd rather not have to ask the admins to re-image the thing anytime soon.  It's running CentOS-6.5 64-bit if that matters to your configs.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html