[Xastir] dbfawk problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Mar 20 22:49:59 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 03:39:48PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <james.jolin at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I think I might have brought up this question before, but I forgot the
> answer and I can't find it anywhere.   So here goes:
>
> Indexing maps...
> Finished indexing maps
> *** Reading WX Alert log files
> *** Done with WX Alert log files
> No DBFAWK signature for z_04de12.shp!  Using default.
[...]
> Are my shp files too old or is the dbfawk program out of date?
> My xastir version is 2.0.4 from December 2012.

That's probably your issue.  Most users don't use the release versions because
they stale so quickly.  CVS really is the way to go.

> That's getting kind of old,
> but that's the newest on Sourceforge.

It's the newest *release* but there is newer code, and newer dbfawks.  There have been *many* commits since Dec 2012.  It may be that the 4dec12 shapefiles
came out right at the same time the 2.0.4 release came out, and are
incompatible with all the dbfawks thate were in 2.0.4.

What you need to do is get the CVS version of Xastir, so you can get updates
faster than the release cycle.

> I get the impression that xastir is
> in kind of in a lull.  Anything new about to break?

Not a lot of code happening, but dbfawks for many recent versions of
shapefiles from NWS do get committed every so often.  NWS often changes the
dbf signature in silly ways for no apparent reason, breaking our dbfawk
files.  These changes are often just reordering of columns of the dbf data or
renaming a column.

Grab the latest CVS instead of the last release, and you will probably find
those dbfawk messages disappear.