[Xastir] IS to RF igating

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 22 13:21:56 EDT 2014

Hi,

  Jason, KG4WSV, was helping me with this problem. We've been able to come up with two solutions.
#1 is to have the tracking receiver that is receiving the remote data in NMEA form, attached as the serial GPS to Xastir.
The remote data gets displayed and can be transmitted by selecting "Posit Transmit Interval"  under "Configure".
The only handicap here is the minimum is once every 6 seconds (.1minute).  I wonder if that could be changed somewhere to

once every 4 to 5 seconds?  When I track, I (and others) don't use 144.390 to track rockets or R/C devices. We just want to

find our projects.  Many use 70cm for this and not the National Frequency.

  With Jason's gps2aprs.pl script, method #2, one goes to the "Interface" drop down, selects the "Enable Sever Ports" button, waits a few seconds, then fires up the gps2aprs.pl script in another terminal.  This takes the raw NMEA data and injects it into Xastir as an APRS packet. Once the script is running, one sees the raw NMEA data coming in on the terminal which can then be minimizied.  The only problem with this method is Xastir doesn't recognize this "station" as something to digipeat.

  The tracking system is on 33cm and cross band repeating it to another ham band allows one to track using handheld rigs like
the D7, 72, VX-8 series, FT1DR and attach a mapping GPS to those rigs as possible.

  Jason's script gps2aprs.pl is quite useful and if anyone wants to see it, request the link from him.  He sent the link to me by PM
so I don't know if he'd mind if I post it.
                                                                               Kurt KC9LDH