[Xastir] Xastir on Ubuntu locks up opening serial TTY

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Sep 8 19:45:14 EDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 10:27:49PM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <neillt at neillt.com> flavor, containing:
> All,
>

> Hoping for some guidance here.  I have been running Xastir on an Ubuntu box just fine for several weeks.  Today I upgraded to 14.04 and noticed Xastir was locking up when started, not even displaying a map, just a blank grey screen.

[...]
> Does anyone have any ideas here?  Some googling really did not turn up much.

Neill:  Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have also upgraded Ubuntu on my lapto to 14.04 but have not yet tried
Xastir with a serial TNC.  Based on your report, I will try to do so tonight
or at least sometime this week.

I can see that Xastir works exactly as it always has with network servers,
and also with AGWPE servers (networked TNC).

The only place I ever plug my laptop is into my truck's D700, which I'm using
less and less.  I'll try to take it out there tonight and see if I can confirm
what you're seeing.

Are you using a USB/Serial adapter, or a built-in serial port?

If you start Xastir from the command line, does it spew any error messages?

Have you tried turning the debug level up?  Debug level 2 should give you
at least some information about port activity.

These are the things I'll be trying if I see the same problem you do.