[Xastir] Hardware Name

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Dec 12 11:19:58 EST 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 12:29:12PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mynixmail at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hi guys,
>
> How would I change the "Device" as reported on aprs.fi ... currently it shows up
> as: "Open Source:Xastir (Software Linux/Unix) ...

This is not your "hardware name", it is taken from the "TOCALL" in the APRS
position report.  You don't get to change it.  Bob Bruninga maintains a list
of these TOCALLs, which are unique to a program or device.  Xastir's, for
example, is "APX" to which a version number is appended (e.g. APX207).  All
aprs.fi is doing is looking up this string in the TOCALL list and printing
what program produced it.

The other data from your APRS posits is used elsewhere on aprs.fi's pages, and
you can set that to whatever you want.  You can change your position
comment (File->Configure->Station) to put the kind of information you
want in there.