[Xastir] GeoPDF try

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Dec 13 00:23:00 EST 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 09:32:17PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> You can experiment with compression to see if it works for you.  Look at
> the bottom of geopdf2gtiff.pl and you'll see two commented out
> lines:

I just experimented with this and found very little benefit from compression.
No matter what compression algorithm I chose, I still got a file bigger than
110MB.  Not worth bothering.  I didn't try any of the compressed versions in
Xastir.

If you would like to try generating the GeoTIFF without imagery, find the
line towards the end of the script where the code sets up the gdalwarp
command and add
  -oo 'LAYERS_OFF=Images,Images.Orthoimage' -oo 'DPI=250.0'
to the command line options.

Without the imagery, you don't need the high DPI that will be used by default,
and so the thing processes much, much quicker (less than a minute, vs. more
than 40 minutes).  And instead of a 100+MB file, you get a 26MB file.
The result looks very, very nice.