[Xastir] Shapefile maps

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 13:12:17 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM, David Ranch <xastir at trinnet.net> wrote:
> Could you show some screen captures of what these Vector maps look like
> within Xastir?

Unfortunately I can't on the mailing list, as it strips attachments.
You can do all kinds of things with Shapefiles though. I use them
often to put vector data on top of rasters, like this:

  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir-shapefile-example.png

That's a base layer of "OSM_tiled_mapnik.geo" with "s_24ja01.shp" on
top of that (U.S. State outlines) and of course NWS weather alerts on
top of that.

If you're just using vector maps with no raster underneath it looks
much more plain:

  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/king-128.png
  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/king-64.png
  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/king-32.png
  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/king-16.png
  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/king-8.png
  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/king-4.png
  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/king-2.png
  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/king-1.png

Those are the Tiger-2008 King County, WA, Shapefiles, with all layers
turned on, at different zoom levels. I usually turn off most levels if
using Shapefiles for driving/navigating.

Below is the same with only these levels turned on:

  tl_2008_53033_arealm.shp
  tl_2008_53033_areawater.shp
  tl_2008_53033_edges.shp
  tl_2008_53033_pointlm.shp
  tl_2008_53033_tabblock.shp

  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/king-4-minimal.png

I chose the Tiger Shapefiles just 'cuz that's what I had on this
machine. I'll can use pretty much any Shapefile out there.

--
Curt, WE7U
http://wetnet.net/~we7u