[Xastir] GeoPDF try

ZPO geekdownrange at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 18:06:00 EST 2015

I used: http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=262:1:0

Which allowed me to easily request a listing for a full state, 24K scale,
and USTopo. From there you can download a CSV and strip it down to only the
current release (sort on "Version") and delete all the fields other than
the download link. From there I fed it into wget as: "wget -i filename -nd"
to download all the current GeoPDF USTopo files for a given state. I let it
run overnight. The map downloads ran at about 1.2-1.5Mb/s whether I had 1
state downloading or 5 states downloading concurrently. I let them run
overnight. 5 states completed in something around 10 hours (WA, OR, ID, MT,
UT)

I've been reading all the GeoPDF conversion threads with interest and
thought it should make a good project to leave running in the background
over the holidays. My end goal is a set of just the DRGs and a set of just
the Orthophotos converted to GeoTIFF. I will then publish them via
bittorrent and a private tracker so they can be downloaded by everyone and
used without having to go through all the steps.

Question - should I make them available as state-level bundles (single huge
file to download), or as individual files (1K-2K torrent files for larger
states)? Perhaps both? I'd like to make them efficient for others to grab
and seed once they've downloaded them.

Onward! :)

73-KY9K/Brian

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com>
wrote:

> First go here: http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html
>
> Then select "Download Maps (map store)"
>
> For now leave the map selection at '7.5 and 15 minute', and leave the
> bullet selection to "Navigate".  Zoom in and drag the US map to your
> desired location.  When you zoom in far enough, you will see a rectangular
> grid; each rectangle represents a separate map.  At that point you should
> be able to see which maps you want.  Change the bullet selection to "Mark
> Points".  Click anywhere inside a rectangle to create a red marker for that
> map.  Then click the red marker itself, which will pull up a list of maps
> to download.  Generally you will want to download the first map (top of the
> list).
>
> So far I have only downloaded 7.5 minute maps, but I may try some of the
> other larger maps and have Xastir use those at higher zoom levels.
>
> Lee - K5DAT
>

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Kurt <ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Any tips on map selection would be appreciated too say like downloading
> > one's state of residence for example.  Clicked on the selection and there
> > are a lot of maps/types there.
> > It's like anything else, there's a learning curve.   Kurt KC9LDH :-)

Society is, always has been, and always will be a structure for the
exploitation and oppression of the majority through systems of political
force dictated by an elite, enforced by thugs, uniformed or not, and upheld
by a willful ignorance and stupidity on the part of the very majority whom
the system oppresses.
- Richard K. Morgan