[Xastir] Sharing serial port with Xastir

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 06:50:11 EST 2015

> On Dec 23, 2015, at 1:30 AM, Danny <mynixmail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> O.k ... this is what I was thinking ... within Xastir it is possible to turn off
> an interface ... so ... would it be possible to pass a command line argument to
> Xastir telling it to turn off /dev/ttySn ... /dev/ttySn is then available
> to whatever app/script/user to execute a script ... once the app/script/user is
> done one can simply just tell Xastir via another command line argument to
> re-enable /dev/ttySn

Command lines don't generally work that way. A command line starts a program executing, and the shell returns to the command prompt once the command completes.  You're describing some quite complex and atypical signaling between running processes.

As has already been mentioned, your best bet is to learn Linux ax25 networking which is designed to share the interface, and let xastir and some other program talk to the TNC via Linux ax25.

-Jason
kg4wsv