[Xastir] GeoTIFF USTopo DRGs Available for Washington State

ZPO geekdownrange at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 20:28:43 EST 2015

I've processed the GeoPDF files and set them up for sharing via bittorrent.
The .torrent files for downloading are available at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8q7xNreVrjiREI1RkFvMVR4Nms&usp=sharing

Files were processed at 600DPI with the orthophotos removed and with
PACKBITS compression. I've spot checked about 20 of them in Xastir to make
sure they display properly. Processing the whole state took a few days on a
quad-core i7.

The Idaho GeoPDFs should be done processing soon. I will get them loaded up
next. I can then either do Oregon or return to the Washington files to make
a set of just the orthophotos based on feedback and interest.

Answers to a few likely questions:

- Why bittorrent?
I don't have a server available with unlimited bandwidth. The full set of
WA GeoTIFFs is 93G. Bittorrent provides a very easy and convenient way to
distribute them. Once I get some feedback that they downloads are going
well, I will move the .torrent files to a web server unless someone else
wants to host them.

- Won't the MPAA/RIAA SWAT teams bust down my door if I use bittorrent?
No. The protocol and program itself are fully legal and don't automatically
download and share anything you don't explicitly tell it to share. I've got
a step further and setup a pair of closed trackers with a whitelist for
only the files I'm posting. Your bittorrent client won't see or touch any
other resources that handle non-legal content unless you download other
torrent files and tell it to do so.

- How can I help?
Setup a torrent box, download the files, and seed them to help others
download them. I'm currently seeding from a Raspberry Pi 2 with the files
on an external portal hard drive. It uses only a few dollars of power a
year and can sit on the shelf 24x7x365 seeding the torrents.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or concerns.

73-KY9K/Brian

--
Society is, always has been, and always will be a structure for the