[Xastir] Off Topic & Slightly Commercial: Android App

VA7OTC JD Erskine va7otc at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 6 21:58:06 EST 2015

On 06/Feb/15 15:40, Curt Mills wrote:
> Naw, I did it for our SAR group, but needed a way to get auto-updates
> to them, so went to the Google Play and the Amazon Appstore for the
> solution to that.  Just trying to get my fee back from Google by
> charging a minimum amount. The app doesn't do that much: Unix
> strategy, do one thing and do it well...

Some developers place their project on several repositories.
I don't use Google Play.

A fine repository is F-Droid. https://f-droid.org/
It handles FOSS apps, does updates well. The descriptions and checks for
tracking or over indulging in "needs" is admirable.

If I choose to gather something from Google Play I'll use an
at-arms-length access means of access. Of course that means no update
notifications or easy update.

A file manager is a necessity for anyone shunning Google Play.

A file manager is not required to _use_ F-droid, however it may be
required to _install_ the Fdroid.apk as it is not in the GP repository,
so won't show in the near proprietary Download area of the device.)

Cheers, John VA7OTC