[Xastir] Noisy conditions

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Thu Jun 25 00:32:27 EDT 2015

Hello Skyler,

> I set up a USB sound card with soundmodem (I could not figure out direwolf) and started decoding packets

Strange that you were able to get Soundmodem working but not Direwolf.
It's usually the other way around!  Happy to give you a hand if you want.

> I was told that packets can be decoded in noisier environments then standard FM voice, but that isn't showing to be true.

Yeah.. not true.  Soundmodem does work but there are several alternative
options out there now and almost all of them are superior.  Here is a
list I put together some time ago:

http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#6.softtnc

> Here is a MP3 file of two packets. The first one was not decoded and the second one was decoded by sound modem. They both seem pretty clear noise wise however, and I want my station to decode as well as possible when it is put into use.
>
> I am using speaker audio from an alinco dr-600.
>
> http://amsatnet.info/recordings/APRS.mp3

I would say those two packets sound fairly decent but they don't sound
like 100% standard packets.  Do you know what's sending them?

--David
KI6ZHD