[Xastir] Who's current on Garmin handheld GPS models?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:42:33 EDT 2015

> On Jun 20, 2015, at 3:22 PM, Thomas Sprinzing <thomas at sprinzing.org> wrote:
>
> Jason,
> OSMAND is pretty decent and doesn't cost a fortune - in fact, you can try it out first with limited amount of offline maps.
>
> No APRS in there, though. But offline OSM maps and street-to-street navigation.

Thanks for the tip, but it's not that great. Crashed before I got the world base map loaded. Sucks battery life like nothing I've ever used. Can't set the GPS to work only while the app is active, so I either go to settings to enable GPS for this app every time I use it or I have an iPad with a 1 hour battery life. Routing so slow as to be useless. Position indicator jumps around to random side roads every time I stop at a red light.

Hopefully non-iOS versions are better.

-j