[Xastir] Noisy conditions

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Tue Jun 30 02:19:41 EDT 2015

Hello Skyler,

> Other than extra features on other sound modem software packages, are
> there actual disadvantages on decoding packets where soundmodem does
> not work as well? I would say those two packets sound fairly decent
> but they don't sound like

Before I begin, one critical clarification.  When you say "soundmodem",
do you my Tom Sailer's soundmodem or UZ7HO's soundmodem?  If we are
talking about Tom's version, yes, almost all of the sound card TNCs in
my URL offer better decodes.  Some also offer alternative modes from
just say AFSK 1200 and G3RUH 9600.

> PocketPacket on iPhone with a baofeng radio was sent through no
> antenna to simulate a weaker signal. The only reason I started testing
> this stuff was because I noticed I was not decoding a large amount of
> packets I was hearing, and they didn't seem to have a huge amount of
> noise on them.

Soundmodem wasn't decoding things or PocketPacket?   I know nothing
about this iPhone app but I do know that Tom Sailer's soundmodem only
can decode about 40% of the packets that Direwolf can.  Read Direwolf's
appendix in the User Guide for full details.  There, it compares
Direwolf, UZ7HO Soundmodem, Tom Sailer's Soundmodem, Kantronics, TNC-X,
etc.  Very interesting read!

--David