[Xastir] Make a landmark

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri May 8 12:46:13 EDT 2015

Yes, there are.  I haven't done this in a while, but you can create an
object or an item in Xastir at the starting location, then drag it and
drop it on each corner, one at a time.  When you're done, you can turn
that into a Shapefile map with Xastir.

Another thing you can do is create an area object in Xastir with the
Draw toggle at the top, then you click with the middle mouse button at
each point except the last, then hit Map->Draw CAD Objects->Close
Polygon and you'll get a popup asking you to give it a name.  This
DOESN'T make a Shapefile map, but gives you the ability to define
areas on the local Xastir map (only).

I usually cut off the menu drop-downs (by clicking on the dashed line)
that I know I'm going to use soon.  It makes the polygon creation
easier.

A third method:  Make a track with a GPS then suck it into Xastir and
make a Shapefile out of it.

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Skyler F <electricity440 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the easiest way to add a landmark to your map, either an image or
> text  for a beginner?
>
> I just want to show where the aid stations are on my map.
>
> Are there easy ways to make shape files?
>
> --
> Skyler Fennell
> amsatnet.info
> KDØWHB